We recently had the pleasure of speaking with our new SACC-Georgia member, Dan Erling, President and CEO of Accountants One Inc. Accountants One has been recruiting Accounting and Financial professionals in the Atlanta area since 1973. Their focus on high-quality relationship building has allowed them to develop a unique database populated by an elite group of candidates. Their commitment to culture fit, honesty, integrity, and confidentiality attracts a large variety of exceptional candidates who want ethical career growth. Accountants One offers staffing solutions to companies who need anything from Data Entry Clerks to CFOs, and everything in between. With a whopping 97% direct hire success rate, Jessica and Alex sat down with Dan Erling to see how they have been able to maintain and grow their success - enjoy!
Prior to starting his career at Accountants One, Dan worked as an Atlanta inner-city math teacher. His father Bert ran a small recruiting firm and when Dan joined the firm his father ensured him there would be no nepotism. Dan worked his way from sales to running the show, which is where he finds himself today.
- Originally, we focused on addressing hiring and staffing needs in Atlanta, but we have now expanded our operations across seven states. Today, Accountants One has an office of 35 employees and we utilize a recruiting and staffing method that matches candidates with employers not solely based on experience, but also on character and assurance that the candidate will match our clients’ culture.
Helping their clients get to the next level
Dan attributes their success to “Learning how to listen.” He emphasizes the importance of finding a candidate that not only can perform the job, but finding a candidate that also has the ability to integrate with the culture of the potential employer. Accountants One conducts monthly and yearly audits to ensure that their clients are happy with their new hires and that they are the right fit.
- It is satisfying to find candidates who fit the long-term focus and career goals as well as bring that final piece to help their clients take their business to the next level.
The importance of addressing the business culture
“We understand our client’s culture at a deeper level to address their biggest needs.”
Dan has always been a big believer in organic growth. The firm has seen exponential growth numbers where they have expanded into the healthcare sector as well.
- What separates Accountants One from other staffing agencies is that we are our clients’ partner in the acquisition of talent from a cultural basis. We can find candidates that are ‘the right fit’ for our clients. We are not only looking for employees for the sake of filling a spot. Instead, we understand our client’s culture at a deeper level to address their biggest needs.
When talking about Covid-19 and how it has impacted the company, Dan explains that they are lucky to have had no downturns in terms of revenue losses, and despite COVID-19, their employees have still been able to perform at a high level.
- They have delivered excellent service while conducting interviews virtually.
Community Involvement - can accountants be funny?
Dan started a fundraiser called “The Search for the South’s Funniest Accountant”, a stand-up show featuring accountants, to prove a friend wrong - that accountants can indeed be funny. Over the years, along with Junior Achievement of Georgia, they have sold out the Center Stage in Atlanta for 5 years running and were set up for a big show at the Coca Cola Roxy before the outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic. Dan smiles and says:
- We have been able to raise around $450,000 and have turned three former financial professionals into professional comedians. Proving that accountants can indeed be funny!
Atlanta as a business-friendly city
Dan thinks that Atlanta has a lot to offer and that it is a very business-friendly city. Dan also mentions that it is enjoyable both for walking and eating outdoors and that he enjoys the climate.
- Atlanta has a fantastic airport that easily connects you with the rest of the world. The area is also becoming the next big hub for businesses, and especially the entertainment industry. For hiring purposes, Atlanta is a perfect place to find excellent candidates because of the large millennial population, which is a big advantage for Accountants One.
Dan’s connection to Sweden
Dan explains that he is very proud of his Swedish roots and has a pin button that shows that he is 51% Swedish. Dan’s father was a member of SACC-GA for many years and he has always been a big fan of what the chamber has to offer, including the fantastic smorgasbord at the Lucia event. Dan traveled to Ystad, Sweden last Christmas to visit his relatives with whom he shares a close relationship.
- After witnessing the Swedish culture up close again, I decided to rejoin SACC-GA, and I am so glad to be back!
Welcome back, Dan and Accountants One!